Mount Desert Island Historical Society, founded in 1931, promotes the study and understanding of the people and the history of this island and of history's relevance today.
We celebrate the lives of the people, their traditions, and the events that have shaped, and will continue to shape, island history.
Selected Mount Desert Island Historical Society images:
- Emilie Clarissa Meynell Somes and Thaddeus Sheply Somes, Somesville, ca 1905
- Hotel Florence, Bar Harbor, ca. 1975
- Bear Island, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1905
- Stores and Schoolhouse, Somesville, ca. 1900
- Village Store and Homes, Somesville, ca. 1905
- Sardine Carriers, Mount Desert Island, ca. 1940
- Main Street, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1910
- Somesville School House, Main Street, ca 1900
- Abraham Somes III, Somesville, ca. 1855